This Construction Day Classroom Transformation has everything you need for an unforgettable, engaging day of learning
- Note to the Teacher with pictures, directions, and tips to help you transform your classroom for a FUN day of learning
- Invitations for students, families, or administrators
- “Hip, Hip, Hooray! It’s Construction Day!” folder cover
- Work zone checklist
- Work zone safety list (to display or print)
- Editable work zone name tags
- Construction Zone Decorations
- 4 Math Centers + 1 Digital Math Center:
- Toolbox Tens: Students will choose a card and build a number using tens and ones blocks.
- Build 10: Students will pick a card and use nuts and bolts to build 10 on a tens frame mat. Then, they will write an equation to match.
- Build Shape Houses: Students will design a house or neighborhood using 2D shapes. Then, they will count how many of each shape they used and record their thinking.
- Bulldozer Subtraction: Students choose a card and build the number using snap cubes. Then, they will use a toy bulldozer to subtract the cubes and solve the equation. They can record their equations.
- ** Constructing Place Value: Students will click and drag the tens and ones to build each number. Printable tens and ones are also included for hands-on learning at home or in the classroom.
- 4 Literacy Centers + 1 Digital Literacy Center:
- Write the Room: Students will walk around the room to find cards and write the last sound they hear in each word.
- Sentence Construction: Students will unscramble construction cards to make a sentence. Then, they will record each sentence.
- Build Reading Stamina: Students will read picture books about construction and write about one fact they learned while reading.
- Hammer the Syllables: Students will use a toy hammer and play-dough to count the number of syllables in construction words. Then, they will record their response using a bingo dauber.
- **Construction Site CVC Words: Students will click and drag the letters to build each CVC word pictured. Printable letter cards are also included for hands-on learning at home or in the classroom.
How I use them in my classroom:
I used this kit of centers as a classroom transformation for a fun day of learning with a little prep work. Hands down, it was totally worth it! I covered my tables with brown butcher paper and put construction cones at each table to build excitement for the day. I printed some caution signs as decorations, and put them on the walls. Students rotated through all 8 hands-on learning centers with their partners in one day. (Each center was approximately 10 minutes) They were accountable for their work by checking off each work zone they completed throughout the day, and kept all their work in their construction folders. We even had a fun cheer as we moved through the day – “Hip, hip, hooray! It’s Construction Day!”
Don’t forget to check out the PREVIEW by clicking the green button underneath the cover where you can see pictures of what’s included.
Happy teaching! 🙂
Stay connected with me via: